Monday, August 22, 2011

Camp Week 4

Camp week 4 was a week filled with blessings from our Creator and truly a time where God was at work at West Wilkes. There are many stories of how God provided for our camp 4th week, and the theme of this camp week for me was being dependent on God, and then watching him provide time after time.

At the end of the summer, your budget for materials is sometimes a little stretched, as ours was this summer. We knew going into the week that we needed to seek donations to help pay for some of our materials. Since I was the one in charge of the material budget, I prayed that God would help provide for us in some sort of way. So then I get a call from another lead field one day, asking me how I was doing and we eventually started talking about our material costs and such. She told me about a man that she had met that was giving them lumber for projects, and that she might be able to give us some. Turns out they were able to bring to us 2 truckloads full of lumber and some tin, just enough lumber with what we had left to do every construction project that we had scheduled to complete. Another camp was able to give us carriage bolts and a few more boards, and God provided for our camp through the other camps.

The campers from 4th camp week were different in alot of ways, having campers from Goldsboro, NC all the way up to Delaware. They came together to form a great bond and watching them all week was really awesome. Listening to them share about how they saw God everyday was really special, and experiencing my last week at West Wilkes for the summer was a bitter sweet experience.

The families that we were able to work for this week were very special to me, as they are every week. Being able to serve the families that we have been able to serve is such a blessing to me, and being the hands and feet of Jesus every single day is a truly rewarding experience. I worked for a lady on Monday who asked me to give her a bear hug as I was leaving, an 80 year old woman being bear hugged by me, that isn't something you see everyday! We were able to build a wheelchair ramp for a lady that was home bound in Fleetwood, NC, a small town in Ashe County. By the end of the summer I can estimate that we were able to serve roughly 180 families in Ashe, Wilkes, Surry, and Alleghany counties this summer!!

The end of the summer always brings a flood of emotions and of course, change. The summer seemed to end very abruptly, but the things that I learned from this summer have and will continue to shape my journey with Christ. Thank you to all of you who helped make this summer possible, whether you partnered with my financially, through prayer, or both, you helped make CCC 2011 a great experience for me, my campers, and  everyone that we worked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment