Sunday, August 14, 2011

Camp Week 3- A little late

Well I am a little late on week 3 and week 4, but hopefully after sharing in this blog you will understand why I am  late on posting this. Camp Week 3 was one of the most challenging weeks of my life. It started off great, pre-camp went well and things were going great. When the week started we were all aware that our camp director might have to leave at some point in the next two weeks because her grandfather was in hospice care. The week started off fine, but on Monday she received news that things had taken a turn for the worse and he had 24 hours. On Tuesday morning she left to go to Alabama, leaving me and my lead program to be co-directors. Our two day projects were crazy and alot of things did not go according to plan. The 7 of us were covering 8 positions and our days were all spent reacting to situations instead of being able to be proactive. The way things came together sometimes can only be explained by the hand of God. If this week taught me anything it is that God truly does not give you more than you can handle.

One of my groups had the privilege of working for a lady named Thelma Dula who lives on Hwy 18 in Moravian Falls. This lady was an incredible woman of God, and the group was building her a deck and a wheelchair ramp in order for her to get out of her house. She  liked to go sing and play piano in a nursing home, and this enabled her to get out of her house much easier. Thelma also wrote poetry. She wrote a poem for the group and myself that is truly beautiful. In my rush to move into school I left it at home, but as soon as I get a hold of it again I will post in on here. This lady was incredible and it was a privilege to serve her and also have her serve us in so many ways.

Another family that we worked for was the Greer family. Sharon Greer had a disability that kept her housebound for the most part. Her mother lived with her and cared for her. We were able to build a wheelchair ramp for her mother to help her in and out of the house much easier. After the ramp was completed Sharon kept calling the ramp "my ramp". Her mother and her were so grateful, and it was truly a blessing to serve them and help them the best way that we could.

Third camp week was a big growing experience for me as a person and as a leader. God was with me and my staff every step of the way, and he gave me strength that I never knew that I had. Looking back on it I truly dont understand how I was able to make those last few days after getting only 2 and a half hours of sleep after a hospital visit for a camper with a concussion, but God gave me strength and we had a truly blessed week of camp. God was with us every step of the way, and all the people who prayed for us and helped us just goes to show what God's people are capable of doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment